An instant messaging Android application that is available for free
BBM, formerly Blackberry Messenger, is a secure free messaging app for Android devices.
BBM offers free voice calling and text chat, group chats with up to 250 contacts at once, and you can even set a timer on messages and pictures so they disappear after a set amount of time.
The new Blackberry Messenger brings all of the security features you love to Android, like PINs and secure blocking.
Another great feature from BBM is “Retract”. If your message hasn’t be read by the recipient yet, you have the option to retract it, or delete it, before your contact sees it - like it was never there!
It’s important to note that support can be a bit spotty for this app. Many Blackberry Messenger users have complained about not being able to resolve login issues, or that tech support fails to respond to emails.
Other than some minor support issues, BBM offers everything you’ve come to love on Blackberry but now on your Android phone or tablet.
- Enjoy All the Security and Features of BBM on Android Block contacts forever, enjoy large group chats, and free voice calling to other Blackberry Messenger users!
- Runs Quietly in the Background at All Times You’ll never have to “start” the program, it’s always in the background working.
- Hundreds of Themes, Emojis, and Customization Options Blackberry Messenger for Android offers thousands of different ways to personalize the application and conversations with themes, emojis and more.
- Support Can be Iffy at Best Support for the app has been reported to be less than stellar; if you have an issue, you might be better off going through Twitter or Facebook to get help than the direct support email.
Bug fixes and performance improvements
Potentially dangerous permissions
- ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access approximate location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION.
- ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access precise location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION.
- CAMERA: Required to be able to access the camera device.
- GET_ACCOUNTS: Allows access to the list of accounts in the Accounts Service.
- READ_CALENDAR: Allows an application to read the user's calendar data.
- READ_CONTACTS: Allows an application to read the user's contacts data.
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- READ_PHONE_STATE: Allows read only access to phone state, including the phone number of the device, current cellular network information, the status of any ongoing calls, and a list of any PhoneAccounts registered on the device.
- RECEIVE_SMS: Allows an application to receive SMS messages.
- RECORD_AUDIO: Allows an application to record audio.
- SEND_SMS: Allows an application to send SMS messages.
- WRITE_CALENDAR: Allows an application to write the user's calendar data.
- WRITE_CONTACTS: Allows an application to write the user's contacts data.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to access information about networks.
- ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to access information about Wi-Fi networks.
- BLUETOOTH: Allows applications to connect to paired bluetooth devices.
- BROADCAST_STICKY: Allows an application to broadcast sticky intents. These are broadcasts whose data is held by the system after being finished, so that clients can quickly retrieve that data without having to wait for the next broadcast.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- MODIFY_AUDIO_SETTINGS: Allows an application to modify global audio settings.
- NFC: Allows applications to perform I/O operations over NFC.
- RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: Allows an application to receive the ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED that is broadcast after the system finishes booting. If you don't request this permission, you will not receive the broadcast at that time. Though holding this permission does not have any security implications, it can have a negative impact on the user experience by increasing the amount of time it takes the system to start and allowing applications to have themselves running without the user being aware of them. As such, you must explicitly declare your use of this facility to make that visible to the user.
- SET_WALLPAPER: Allows applications to set the wallpaper.
- VIBRATE: Allows access to the vibrator.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.